<body>
la petite frog
Korean Pancake (Hoddeok) Tuesday, October 12, 2010 @ 3:57 PM
I remember when I was a little kid, my mom used to make us the most delicious Korean pancakes (hoddeok). I've never actually been to Korea myself, but my mom said that she used to always eat hoddeok after school on a chilly day. I can imagine how delicious that would have been, eating the piping hot pancakes with the sweet, nutty filling inside. Hoddeok tastes almost like a sticky bun because it's filled with cinnamon, brown sugar, and pine nuts. It's a Korean favorite for the fall and winter season and delightfully sweet for any day.

Korean Pancake (Hoddeok)
yield: 10 pancakes

Dough Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup rice flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp instant yeast
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
1/2 cup milk

Filling Ingredients:
6 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp nuts
1 tsp cinnamon

Directions:
1. Scald the milk in a small saucepan and set aside to cool to room temperature.
2. Combine all-purpose flour and rice flour in a large bowl. Place salt and yeast into the flour mixture on opposite sides. Stir in warm water and scalded milk. Cover dough mixture and set aside in a warm area for 1-2 hours or until the dough doubles in size.
3. Degas the dough and move it to a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 10 pieces, shape into balls and set aside for 15 minutes. In a small bowl, combine the filling ingredients.

4. Flatten each dough ball and place 1 tablespoon of filling mixture in the middle, leaving the edges free of any filling mixture. Close the dough ball with the edges. Set aside.

5. Heat a frying pan and drizzle vegetable oil. Place one or two dough balls into the pan and flatten with a spatula. Leave the spatula on the dough ball for 1 minute. Flip over and fry for 1 minute more.

6. Serve the pancakes right away when they're hot.


2 comments

These sound just like my cup of tea (perhaps with a little bit less sugar inside) and they don't sound too hard to make... will have to give it a try.

By Anonymous Gali, at October 18, 2010 at 6:50 AM  

The only korean pancake I know is Panjeon, I am so happy to found this one of yours. I'm so tempted of making it.

By Blogger Dewi, at October 26, 2010 at 6:10 PM  

Post a Comment


Profile
Photobucket
I'm a 20 something year old student in love with cats, food, and fashion. My hobbies are food photography and taking pictures of the ones I love!
Etsy Shop SUBSCRIBE Squidoo Layout



older post newer post