<body>
la petite frog
Apple Pie on a Rainy Monday Tuesday, October 19, 2010 @ 12:56 AM

I've been having cravings for apple pie lately. Just the thought of a warm buttery crust with delicious sweet apple filling makes me feel happy inside. And since this morning was quite chilly with a little bit of rain, I forced myself to go to the market and get myself some fresh Granny Smith apples. They smelled great...and since I bought too many, I might save some for caramel apples later.

The apple pie recipe I used is from allrecipes.com called "Apple Pie by Grandma Ople." The pie came out a little bit too sweet for my family's liking and so I decided to cut down on the sugar. Other than that, the pie was perfect! We almost ate the whole pie in one day!

Apple Pie
yield: 8 servings

Double Crust Pastry Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butter
6 tablespoons cold water

Directions:
1. In a bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until dough is crumbly. Add the cold water and mix until a ball is formed. Divide dough so that one half is bigger than the other.
2. Roll out the larger ball and transfer into a 9" pie pan. Roll out the second ball and cut long vertical pieces to form the lattice cover.
3. Set in fridge while preparing the apple pie filling.

Filling Ingredients:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
4 Granny Smith apples (peeled, cored and sliced)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Melt butter in saucepan and stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, cinnamon, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
2. Fill lined pastry pan with sliced apples. Pour sugar mixture over the top and cover with lattice pastry crust.
3. Bake 15 minutes in preheated oven. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.

4 comments

The small one looks fantastic!! I absolutely must try your recipe!!!

Greets from BFC !!!

By Anonymous bigFATcook, at October 19, 2010 at 11:58 PM  

Beautiful pic ..I love the recipe as well

By Blogger HGourmet Foodie, at October 20, 2010 at 1:03 PM  

Hello!

bigFatCook- Thanks for stopping by! I love your name by the way!

Vincent- Thanks for inviting me to join! I just joined the Petitchef.com today.

Gourmet Foodie- Thank you! I'm trying my best at the picture taking and the cooking as well.

-la petite frog

By Blogger la petite frog, at October 20, 2010 at 1:21 PM  

I've made the Grandma Ople pie before, but like you, I thought it was a wee bit too sweet. Thanks for modifying this recipe so I can give it another go! Found you on Foodgawker and the pie came out wonderfully.

To those who would like really nice cuts on their strips of dough - try a pizza cutter! They work well. :)

Thanks!!

By Blogger Unknown, at November 18, 2010 at 2:14 PM  

Post a Comment


Profile
Photobucket
I'm a 20 something year old student in love with cats, food, and fashion. My hobbies are food photography and taking pictures of the ones I love!
Etsy Shop SUBSCRIBE Squidoo Layout



older post newer post